Any chance of OpenRA coming to Android?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Sponge

Any chance of OpenRA coming to Android?

Post by Sponge »

Is there even a teeny chance of OpenRA being ported over to Android? To be more specific, android 2.1 or later. Despite my phone dropping dead for no readily apparent reason I may well get a tablet of some kind later and would like to have this on it if a version is ever made.

Dunno if anyone wants an iOS version for the iPad, but that's always an alternative too...

FreakNigh

Post by FreakNigh »

Andriod is Java and iOS is c / objective c. This project is written in c#. So I can't imagine them taking on a conversion of the code while it is still in development. Not to mention they might not even own either and get no benefit from it. It would be best if someone who owned an android step up and maintain an android release separate of their efforts.

Maybe it's about time all these free / pirate gamers step up and help develop the free projects if they are not willing to pay someone else to do it. How about not waiting around helplessly or acting like your owed this. Or "I can play any game for free so if you don't put up with my shit I'll just go somewhere else".

Just like you want android for yourself, they build this for themselves. Have some respect. You just asked them to convert the entire code base on a fling idea just for the piss of it.

beedee

Post by beedee »

There is zero chance of OpenRA coming to any smartphone platforms at this stage. Our only viable option for porting it would be MonoTouch for iOS and MonoDroid for Android but they aren't mature or feature complete and they are not cheap to license. There's also the fact that the iOS appstore license is fundamentally incompatible with the GPLv3 that OpenRA is licensed under.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I am currently trying to port OpenRA from Tao Framework to it's successor OpenTK. https://github.com/Mailaender/OpenRA/tree/opentk It supports OpenGL for Embedded Systems bindings which is used by Apple's iPhone, Google's Android, Nokia's Maemo, the Sony Playstation 3, the Pandora handheld and other devices. http://www.opentk.com/blog/1/opentk-gai ... es-support
Last edited by Matt on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

knivesron

Post by knivesron »

great work matt.
cant wait to be able to play this on my phone/tablet and my android pc.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

Porting to use OpenTK and supporting android are two totally different things.

freak

Post by freak »

It was done with C# so it can ported to Silverlight-application. On android, there is internet browser called "skyfire", which run silverlight-applciations.
:(0

Matt

Post by Matt »

No, OpenRA is not a silverlight web application. However MonoDroid uses OpenTK http://docs.monodroid.net/index.aspx?link=N:OpenTK Still someone needs to buy a pricey Mono for Android license from Xamarin and do the porting which is not very attractive.