Fedora bugs

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
PhoibDS

Fedora bugs

Post by PhoibDS »

These bugs might be Fedora only (version 12), so not listing them in the gameplay bugs topic:
When starting full screen with 2 monitors, the game will stretch over both monitors.

Without Nvidia drivers working, there is a HUGE lag, in the order of 1 frame every 10 seconds or so. I am really surprised by this, as RA was a game before the advent of video cards. I'm not sure if this is Fedora only, but I'm willing to look over your graphical code and recommend improvements, somewhere in Jan.

When cancelling a row of units, you hear CaCaCaCaCancelled.

When having a single war factory as primary, you cannot select the vehicle tab anymore, it will switch to the building tab.

The naval tab for the Soviets is too sexy, I want to keep clicking it.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

Even though we're using the same art as the original RA, our renderer technology is completely different. Our renderer makes use of modern GPU features (pixel shaders, etc) to do the recoloring and other palette effects. It's really slow without hardware acceleration as a result, but if your OpenGL does work, it's really fast.

We're planning to add a low-tech renderer as well, to cover cases where the GL is broken or missing -- if you'd like to help with that, you're most welcome.

PhoibDS

Post by PhoibDS »

You see, that's why RA used pallettes, because then the pixel-colors are simple jumps up and down the array, something a 486 can even do.

I'll have to look at the code a bit more, but I do guess you're doing some overly complex things, since you're only dealing with sprites, or single flat planes. This should make a lot of the calculations simple (all normals pointing up, nothing specular, no complex lighting) and what remains should just be a couple of openGL calls, something for which you don't need a GPU for... Anyways, I'll see in Jan :P