Halloween Playtest

Let us all migrate and test the sh*t out of it

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
noobmapmaker

Halloween Playtest

Post by noobmapmaker »

http://www.openra.net/download/

PLaytest new stuff description: http://www.openra.net/

Looks like the devs have surpassed themselves again! Great stuff! Let us test! Installing....
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

- The missions used to have images, right? I dont see them, only the Soviet/Allies logo shows.

- I viewed around in the new version: missions, map editor, multiplayer and then wanted to go back to windows. When I pressed Quit in the main menu the game froze and had to be killed using ctrl-alt-del. From which log should I copy paste the information?
>> yes, always crashes for me on Windows 7 when I want to quit the game.
Last edited by noobmapmaker on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Forgot about the playtest. I can be on it on and off while im away. Going into a bit of hiatus until Icome back

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The quit bug (which only happens on windows) is known, and will be fixed (#9855) in the next playtest.

newwe

Post by newwe »

Looks cool except...
-attack move is buggy for me now, about half the time it just does a move order
-if you mouse over a disguised enemy spy it no longer shows the kill icon - I'm guessing this is intentional and it does "make sense" but probably makes spies too powerful
-may be just bad luck but it seems like it lags more in my limited sample

Thanks for all the hard work devs, but I prefer the release for now, mainly b/c of the first thing I listed.

avalach21

thoughts on halloween playtest

Post by avalach21 »

I have been experiencing the quit bug too, but if you wait long enough I think it actually closes down on its own. Im usually impatient and just force close it with task manager, but if you give it a good minute or two i think it should close down.

A lot of great additions in this playtest. I really like the new general chat and how you are addressing the annoyance of server hopping. To further this idea, would it be possible to browse all available games while remaining in your current game/slot? I think if that is implemented, the issue would be 100% addressed. For example, if you could just have the browse option remain a selection while youre in a game server and you can switch back and forth from browsing the server list back to the players list in your current server without leaving the server/losing your slot/losing host status etc.

I'm also stoked on the upgrades to the music player and the ability to change the music in a game lobby in RA.

OpenRA is amazing. Thanks for all the fantastic work you put into this.

newwe

Post by newwe »

One other thing, artillery (and V2s, and probably every unit) with GPS sat up don't automatically attack things in the shroud within their range on defend or attack anything stance (or any other stances). Again, not sure if this is a "feature" but I don't like it.

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

newwe wrote: One other thing, artillery (and V2s, and probably every unit) with GPS sat up don't automatically attack things in the shroud within their range on defend or attack anything stance (or any other stances). Again, not sure if this is a "feature" but I don't like it.
This reminds me of a point I've wanted to bring up. I can't speak for behavior in the Halloween Playtest, but for the current release, one of the most annoying things is how an artillery or a V2 will drive to the location of a targeted structure that you tell them to shoot at if it still appears in the shroud but it is actually no longer there. I'm not sure if this is intended behavior or an oversight, but I for the life of me could never imagine why you would want your slow, fragile, critically important long range V2s/Artillery to drive right up into the enemies base/ line of defense just because the targeted structure has been destroyed or sold in the meantime

Logically, they shouldn't even know if the structure is there or not if you don't have sight, so IMO they should behave the same and just shoot at the target area as if it is there until you verify otherwise with sight. If anything it's kind of a cheat to tell you whether the structure is there or not based on their behavior when you don't actually have sight, but obviously in a game such as this where every millisecond counts, you (at least, speaking for myself, I) dont have time to click a target, wait and closely watch to see how it behaves, and then make more adjustments, meanwhile you have 50+ other things that need ur immediate attention.

It's your responsibility to pay attention and listen and wait for the structure explosion sound effect, or to do some estimation and math in your head as to whether the structure is destroyed or not, or simply ensure that you have proper sight of the target. I shouldn't have to force attack the target area for them to behave that way, it should be the default behavior IMO, as I can't imagine any circumstance where you would want your unit to drive right up to that location.. If this is not the proper place to discuss lmk and I will open a separate thread.

Thanks again.

anjew

Post by anjew »

I'll probably be over on the playtest as well. Testing the balance changes for TD and taking advantage of the faster repair pad