Reddit Postmortem

Official announcements from the developers.
chrisf

Reddit Postmortem

Post by chrisf » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:23 am

Iran

Post by Iran » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:24 am

Well, on the other hand we did get a lot of people on board. But yeah, having the website, installer and game itself state that it's in alpha would help a lot. As I guess quite a few people got a negative impression of this engine, especially if they didn't know that it is in the state of an alpha version at the moment.

Aidanc

Post by Aidanc » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:19 pm

I agree with Iran and as I stated on twitter I think the key is tapping into your community. You're a small team why not open the flood gates to the community, put frameworks in place to allow them to contribute, report bugs, fix bugs, do PR etc.

Iran

Post by Iran » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Reporting bugs could be done with the bug tracker that was taken down a few days ago and will be up again soon. Fixing bugs could be done with the bug tracker too, plus via Github.

beedee

Post by beedee » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Aidanc wrote: I agree with Iran and as I stated on twitter I think the key is tapping into your community. You're a small team why not open the flood gates to the community, put frameworks in place to allow them to contribute, report bugs, fix bugs, do PR etc.
3-4 days ago we had basically just the dev team playing this. The reddit front page was completely out of the blue when we weren't exactly ready for it and were already having hosting issues.

The reason we haven't "opened the floodgates" to the community is that it is going to require someone to dedicate themselves to maintaining these community links and we've been completely swamped over the last few days. I've taken control of the twitter account and we all read the forums so we are doing as much as we can.

If you read the post-mortem blog post, we've had a lot of new issues emerge and our priority is on fixing those.

epice

Post by epice » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:48 am

Always do opposite of what reddit says, remember this!